What is Sustainable Development?
Sustainable development refers to the efficient principle of meeting the development goals of present generation while at the same time sustaining the ability of natural systems to provide the natural resources and ecosystem services for nurturing and embellishment of the upcoming generations. The idea of sustainable development needs to be conceptualized, implemented and executed in all walks of natural resource exploitation processes, to ensure the circumvention of over exploitation.
Primary objectives defining the overall sustainable development are-
- Social progress and equality among all.
- Protection of environment.
- Conservation of natural resources.
- Stable economic growth.
How to ensure sustainable development?
Sustainable development can be assured for our present as well as future generations by research, study, conservation, advancement, adaptation and optimization of technologies and methodologies in different areas of application, to enumerate a few-
- Switching to renewable energy sources– The time has arrived when the need for alteration in source of energy is to be addressed properly. The sectors dependent on non-renewable sources of energy for the fulfillment of requirements such as- automobile sector and power sector, need to bring a change in their infrastructure and equipment to shift over to renewable source of energy.
- By conserving natural resources– Natural resources such as good quality of air in the atmosphere, clean drinking water, tree and its products should be conserved for meeting the requirements of future generations.
- By conserving food– Food is an essential requirement for growth and development of living organisms and it should be conserved by people in present generation for the people of future generation. One effective method of doing so is by preserving natural survival seeds in survival seeds bank, which can openly pollinated for more than 100 years while giving nutrition dense food, when conserved in controlled environment. Thus enabling future generations with good quality food supply.
- By promoting social equality and peace- The success of above steps will be of value only when people of future generation are able to make the most out of it by sharing and utilizing it competently. This is can be achieved by proactively diminishing social inequality and discrimination.
What’s the urgency?
Sustainable development is not only beneficial for future generation but it is the only way to ensure the existence of future generations. Since, the deficiency in availability of natural resources and adaptive technologies will cease the existence of living organisms and if principles of sustainable development is not adhered to, the catastrophe will be dyed-in-the-wool.